CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 23, 2010

Earth Day







I was trying to explain what exactly Earth Day was when getting Owen dressed for preschool yesterday morning. I explained it as a special day to celebrate our planet, Earth, kind of like Earth's birthday. I found a (too small) t-shirt in his closet from last Spring that said "Go Green" so that is what he wore to school. I also brought my camera to school when dropping him off yesterday because I don't have too many photos of him actually at school. Usually I have the baby with me and that leaves me with only one free hand. And with 13 3 year olds in his class, drop off and pick up are usually a hustle and bustle of kids, parents, seat work papers, projects, etc. After preschool, lunch and naps I took the kids to Pottery Barn Kids for a special Earth Day story reading, sing along and craft project. Owen had a great time. It was so neat to see him sit quietly and listen, as well as actively participate when the story lady asked questions.

In the spirit of Earth Day I made a mental list yesterday of all the "green" things we do in our house and the "non green" things we still do.

GREEN:
*recycle bottles, paper, magazines, cardboard, plastic, aluminum, styrofoam
*use refillable water bottles
*conserve water and electricity as much as possible
*we have a high efficiency washer and dryer
*I buy mostly organic dairy and produce, some organic meat
*we use re useable lunch containers instead of baggies mostly
*I always bring my own re useable bags to the grocery store
*I like to use "green" cleaning products
*I only run the dishwasher when it's a full load

NOT SO GREEN:
*we use WAY too many paper plates and paper towels
*disposable diapers are horrible for the environment, but I have never even given green diapers a second thought. Pampers all the way in this house!
*I still use plastic Target shopping bags for doogie poop pickup.

0 comments: